Alaska – Sept 10 – Disembarkation

Smoothest. Disembarkation. Ever. As easy as it was to get on the ship, it was just as easy to get off. Holland America and the Seattle port are heads and tails over other ports (Ft. Lauderdale and Port Canaveral being 2 awful ones).

Woke up at 5:30 to get ready. Chuck got up an hour later. We went up to the Lido and I was expecting a madhouse but there weren’t that many people in line. We each got eggs, bacon, toast, etc. Sat out in the Lido pool area and watched supplies being loaded up. Made the announcement for no smoking as fuel was being loaded and fumes could be ignited.

Our disembarkation time was 9:20. The people who could take off their own luggage were called to leave at 7:30. Holland America allows people to stay in their cabins until called. I know it makes it hard on the stewards trying to get ready for the next cruise, but it sure is nice for the passengers. Other lines herd you into common areas and people start sitting on steps and crowding the hallways, paying no attention to their time to get off.

We got our last-minute stuff together in our backpacks, grabbed our passports and we were called at 9:15. We disembarked on level 3 and I noticed crew were disembarking on level 2. I wonder if they were going home or changing ships. Maybe some of both. The Zaandam is going to do one more 14-day Alaskan cruise and then transition to start the South America/Antarctica cruises (on my bucket list).

We found the spot for our shuttle on Seattle Express and checked in with the operator. There were several other couples there but they were going to the airport. One couple was concerned as they needed to get to their house in North Carolina before Hurricane Florence. I hope they make it. They took a larger bus and we were on a van by ourselves going to the Comfort Suites Sea-Tac.

Arrived about 10:30 and fortunately she had a room ready for us. I signed us up for the 5:45 a.m. shuttle tomorrow as our flight boards at 7:05 with take-off at 7:45. While I was in the Lido, I heard someone say they just got a message that their flight was delayed for an hour. Hope ours is on time.

The hotel is fine. Clean and the beds are comfortable. You can hear the planes but we heard them from the other hotels too. Some sort of construction going on next door. Looks like Alaskan Airlines is expanding its facilities.

Our plan was to get the suitcases re-organized for the flight and then take the light rail to the Space Needle. However, today is a very cloudy day and visibility low. Also, Chuck was very sleepy. Think the late nights caught up with him as he had a long, long nap. I am glad my head cold is gone.

All my electronic devices needed updating so I spent the afternoon getting those ready to go.

We decided to go back to Wally’s Seafood Chowder place. We started the trip with a great meal from Wally’s so why not end the trip with a great meal from Wally’s? We each had a cup of the clam chowder and split a seafood platter. So good.

4:30 is going to get here before I know it. Wonder if I’ll be able to sleep or will toss and turn all night.

No towel animal tonight. ☹

Author: mmmtravelmemories

A retired college administrator who loves to travel. I write to remember the experiences and, I hope, to inspire others to make their own travel memories.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: