Hawaii/South Pacific: Sea Day #1

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

We did have a later night. We watched the comedian – Chris Strait. He was so-so. Chuck left about 10 minutes into the set. I stayed for the whole set. I found Chuck at the three card poker table and convinced him to come dancing. A DJ was playing tunes. Unfortunately, it took a while before he played some good slow songs. We called it a night after a few dances.

We set the clock back one hour last night. I ended up awake at 5:30. I had to manually change my iPhone time and get it to sync with my Fitbit watch this morning. First thing I noticed when I got up was how the ship was really rocking. I had forgotten how much rougher the Pacific is than the Caribbean. It was also very sunny outside but our deck was very wet. Must have been a shower at one point during the night.

Went for coffee at 6:30. It was so busy and the server was a little frantic as his computer was down and he was trying to hand write all the orders. There was a big line. We old people need our coffee!

We had to stop by Guest Services as there was a charge on our account for a drink we didn’t order. They said they would look into it and contact us. Annoying.

Had a light breakfast at the Lido. It was crowded so we were invited to share a large table. Talked with a couple who had experienced a bad night. At 1:00 in the morning, they had to change rooms because water started coming through their ceiling in their bathroom. As of that morning, it had still not been fixed. They hoped to be able to go back to their original room today. They did not like the room they had to be moved to last night. What a mess. Guess our incorrect drink charge pales in comparison.

Decided not to go the gym as we are being COVID tested again this afternoon. What has testing got to do with exercising? I want to keep my mask on as much as possible until all testing is done but I hate to exercise with it on. So, we decided to do some laps around the ship on the Promenade deck.

The walk started out very pleasant and sunny but as we rounded the front of the ship going to the other side, the wind whipped up and we were now on the very shady and cold side. Did make us walk much faster. Now we were back to the sunny and pleasant side. We decided to just walk back and forth on that sunny side instead of going around the ship again. However, we braved a lap one more time – Nope – still cold. We went inside.

We came back to the room and sat on the deck. The pesky fly was back and he brought two friends. I have named him Phil. Phil and his friends need to move on but they seem to like hanging out on our deck.

Saw on our account that the incorrect charge was reversed. Glad we didn’t have to make another trip to Guest Services.

At 10:00, we went to the Casino to play some slots. Tried the Buffalo Stampede. It treated us as well as other Buffalo Stampede machines have – not great. Chuck then went to his poker tournament, and I went to a presentation on Marconi’s influence on current ship communications presented by Ian, the HAL cruise director. Very interesting.

Chuck didn’t win the tournament, but they will have several more during other sea days. We had lunch in the dining room. We sat at a table with two women who have been friends since grade school and one man who was traveling solo. The service was a little slow, but the food was good. I had the roasted cauliflower and mac and cheese. Chuck had a hamburger. We were going to have dessert but they announced our deck number to come for antigen testing, so we had to leave.

The line to get tested was long but it moved quickly. After the swab, we were sent back to our cabin and told to wait 30 minutes. If we didn’t get a call, we were free to leave and enjoy the ship. I set a timer on the phone for 30 minutes and kept my fingers cross for no phone call. Our laundry had returned so I got it put away. I was reading and jumped when the timer went off. Yay! No phone call! We passed again. I just wonder how many more times we will have to test on this cruise.

Since it is Fat Tuesday, the dress code tonight is “Festive.” I understand Smart Casual and Gala, but we have never had a “Festive” before. I will have to improvise, and I am glad I brought my Mardi Gras beads.

Author: mmmtravelmemories

A retired college administrator who loves to travel. I write to remember the experiences and, I hope, to inspire others to make their own travel memories.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: