Hawaii/South Pacific: Disembarkation

Sunday, April 3, 2022

Before we went to dinner in the Lido, it was time to say goodbye to our room stewards. They have been wonderful to us. We know that the customer satisfaction surveys are important to the staff, and we plan to give them and many others glowing marks – they deserve it. I hope we get to sail with them again one day.

Went up to the Sea View deck and was able to see one of our favorite staff members. Wish we could have found the other ones, but they must have been on their dinner break.

Had a big crowd again for Pete’s last night. There were lots of pictures and exchanges of information. We called it a night and got our biggest luggage out to the hallway to be picked up.

When we woke up at 6:00, we were already docked in San Diego next to a Disney cruise ship. It was a very gloomy day. We went for our last breakfast in the Lido.

At 7:45, they started calling people to bring their ship ID, and passports to have a face-to-face with Customs in the 3rd floor dining room. This process was a new on. Typically, you are called to leave the ship, find your luggage at the port, and then get in line to see Customs. Can be a very long line.

Once we cleared Customs, our ship card was stamped, and we went back to our room to get our carry-on luggage and backpacks. We walked off the ship at 9:30, found our luggage in the port, and were at the Best Western Bayside by 10:00. Hope they keep up the process of seeing Customs on the ship. Very quick.

Of course, the room was not ready but they were able to store our luggage. Chuck had strained his neck dealing with the large luggage so he took one of his muscle relaxers and tried to relax on the lobby couch.

There are three cruise ships in today and there was a big country music concert here on Saturday night, so the hotel check-ins and check-outs were crazy. I was glad we were able to find a place to sit.

The strain in Chuck’s neck started to ease up. We thought about taking an Uber to Balboa Park, but the weather did not seem to want to cooperate. Instead, we walked back to the bayside and walked about two or three blocks in a big square. We knew we could duck into any one of the many restaurants if it started raining. We had never walked in this area of San Diego. Interesting artwork, statues, and parks.

By the time we got back to the hotel, a room was ready for us. The front desk attendant told us not to worry about getting a ride to the airport in the morning even if it is 4:00 a.m. There will be an Uber, Lyft, or a taxi available. Okay, hope she’s right.

Author: mmmtravelmemories

A retired college administrator who loves to travel. I write to remember the experiences and, I hope, to inspire others to make their own travel memories.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: