Disembarkation & Traveling Home

Saturday, April 29, 2024

As I was trying to get ready for the evening, the hair dryer and make-up mirror quit again, and this time so did the TV. I couldn’t find the room steward, so I left a note. I think they are going to have to do more than switch out a fuse to solve the problem. We ate a very light dinner in the Lido because of the large lunch we had eaten that afternoon.

We played slots, cashed out, and then went to the room to finish the packing, tagging, and putting the two large bags out in the hallway. If all went well, we would see them tomorrow morning at the pier.

I was up at 6:00 and was surprised that we were not docked but slowly coming into Montreal. The Cruise Director came over the loudspeaker at 7:00 and said that because of the strong currents in the St. Lawrence River overnight, the ship was slowed more than expected.

Disembarkation would be delayed. If we had been staying in Montreal overnight, no issue. However, we were traveling home so delay is never a great thing to hear on disembarkation morning.

We went to the Lido for breakfast. We left our room at 8:30 so the stewards could prepare for the arriving guests. We sat near the elevators until our disembarkation number was called at 10:00 (1 hour later than advertised).

We found our luggage in the holding area and took the HAL transfer bus to the airport for the convenience. It was a 30-minute ride, and we were fortunate to be dropped off very close to the Delta area.

There was no out-side baggage check but luckily there was no line at the inside baggage check. Once we got those bags checked and got our boarding passes, she directed us to the security area.

Just as I entered the area, a woman in uniform stepped forward and said to me “Hello, you have been randomly selected for an in-depth security screening.” Sigh. Same thing happened to Chuck in Buenos Aires. I had to open my backpack, purse, and carry-on so she could rifle through them and run a wand over them. She did not run a wand over me. She did not open any of Chuck’s carry-ons.

Once she was through with my screening, we were escorted to the VIP security line that had only a few people in it. We had to send our stuff through the scanners, but we could keep our shoes and belts on.

The passport control area was next. Since we don’t have Global Pass, we had to get in the long line. We started at the back of the line at 11:00 and were at an agent in about 20 minutes.

Once he handed back our passports, we were free to go to our gate. Of course, our gate was at the very end of the long hallway but we got there by 11:40.

At 12:30, I got an alert on the Delta app that our flight was delayed from 2:00 to 3:00. Knowing that an hour would make us miss our shuttle reservation, I called the service, and they were able to move us to a later shuttle. As soon as I hung up, I got a Delta alert that the time had been changed from 3:00 to 2:30. I didn’t change the shuttle reservation back because I thought if we did arrive for the earlier shuttle and they had two open seats, they would let us on. It has happened before.

We decided to get sandwiches at the airport. Two turkey sandwiches and a small can of Pringles- $23 U.S. – crazy. Airport food anywhere is outrageous.

When we boarded the plane, we found it had very small uncomfortable seats, very little storage space overhead, and a narrow aisle – not our usual Delta experience. It did have WIFI available but no other in-flight entertainment. I was glad I had my Kindle book charged. We took off at 2:35. The flight was a little under 3 hours.

We landed at the International terminal. The people who had flight connections that left under an hour were allowed to get off first. We were told that we would not be going through Customs upon arrival because Customs had pre-approved us in Canada. I didn’t even know that process was a possibility.

We still had to collect our checked luggage and take the airport bus to the Domestic terminal to catch our shuttle home. The bus was packed, and traffic was bumper-to-bumper on Camp Creek Parkway getting to the other terminal. We made it to Domestic Ground Transportation at 6:45. I was certainly glad I had not changed our shuttle time back to the original 6:15.

Our shuttle arrived at 7:05. There were only 3 of us in the van so we could spread out. As we were traveling on I-75 there were 3 small cars and about 6 motorcycles that passed us and had to be doing over 100 miles an hour. The motorcycles were driving between the lanes and the cars would swerve over to the shoulders to pass the rest of us.

State troopers were trying to catch them in all the traffic. It was nerve-wracking to see. Inevitably we came upon a wreck – looked like one of the cars and 2 of the motorcycles. Lots of police cars and emergency vehicles. There was a shoe in the road. Just a sad and unnecessary outcome.

We finally made it to the shuttle office and arrived home by 10:00. We were exhausted. We were greeted by a disgruntled Pumpkin. I knew he would make us pay with a very sleepless first night back.

I was glad to be home, but we did have a very good time and I would like to visit those places again someday.

Until next time – “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” ― Anita Desai

Author: mmmtravelmemories

A retired college administrator who loves to travel. I write to remember the experiences and, I hope, to inspire others to make their own travel memories.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: