Caribbean: Disembark & Coming Home

November 6, 2021

I was up at 5:30. I was hoping that I would be able to charge our last 2 large coffee shop coffees so I wanted to be there when they opened at 6:00. Yes! One large coffee and one large vanilla latte to start the day.

The Lido was as busy as expected. I wasn’t that hungry so I just got a bagel and some fruit. Chuck didn’t want to deal with the Lido lines so he went to the Blue Iguana for a breakfast burrito.

We were docked and hoped it wouldn’t be long before we would hear that the ship had been cleared.

Came back to the room, rechecked the closets, drawers, and the safe. All clear. Rolled the suitcases down the hall and lucked out being able to get an unoccupied elevator to go up one floor with our suitcases.

The meeting room was already packed with people and their suitcases. They called us to disembark at 7:40. So much better than the delays last time. As anxious as everyone was to leave, it was an orderly line. We made it outside to the shuttle pick-up point at 7:55. The wind was blowing and it was cold.

The shuttle driver who brought us to the port said there would be shuttles waiting at 8:00, 9:00, and 10:00. We had our round-trip receipt. We had our suitcases. There was no shuttle. I called the shuttle number at 8:15. They finally showed up at 8:30. Luckily, there were a few seats left because they picked up the people on the Carnival Mardi Gras.

By the time we got back to the hotel and retrieved the car, we were on the road a little after 9:00.

We stopped for gas before we came to St Augustine. So glad we did because it started pouring rain at St. Augustine. We had to travel through Jacksonville and all the way down I-10 in torrential rain. For some reason, our GPS took us off I-10 briefly but we could never figure out why. The rain finally eased up once we were traveling north on I-75.

We tried stopping at a Wendy’s for a late lunch near Valdosta but it was drive-thru only. We drove across the street to the McDonald’s so we could sit down.

It was slow going through Atlanta but at least we kept moving. We saw stopped traffic on I-75 South. Wasn’t sure what caused it.

Finally got home a little after 7:00 and it was very cold. Pumpkin meowed at us for a while and then went outside. He continued to come in and go out and fuss at us for the rest of the evening. We decided to wait until tomorrow to change all the clocks back. We are going to enjoy the extra hour of sleep. We are going to need the extra sleep to be able to tackle the dead tree that fell down in the yard and also deal with the cold temperatures predicted. Welcome home.

This adventure has come to an end. Mindy’s Travel Journal is now complete.

Author: mmmtravelmemories

A retired college administrator who loves to travel. I write to remember the experiences and, I hope, to inspire others to make their own travel memories.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: